Asset Management Requirements in Ontario
Requirements Under the Canada Community-Building Fund
AMO administers the Fund for 442 municipalities in Ontario. The Administrative Agreement requires municipalities to develop an asset management plan that identify local infrastructure investment priorities, and report asset management outcomes. Municipalities must demonstrate progress toward meeting these requirements. Each requirement is described in detail below.
ASSET MANAGEMENT PLAN REQUIREMENTS
The Administrative Agreement required Ontario municipalities to develop and implement asset management plans by December 31, 2016. All municipalities have successfully developed a baseline asset management plan in alignment with Ontario’s Building Together: Guide for Municipal Asset Management Plans.
Municipalities are expected to continuously improve and implement their existing asset management plans according to the requirements of the Asset Management Planning Regulation.
ASSET MANAGEMENT REPORTING REQUIREMENTS
Municipalities must demonstrate:
- That asset management plans are being used to guide infrastructure planning and investment decisions; and
- That Canada Community-Building funds are being used to address priority projects identified in the plans.
Municipalities met this requirement by:
- Submitting a copy of their most recent Council-approved asset management plans; and
- Responding to a questionnaire in 2021 to capture progress made during 2017-2021 in improving the quality of plans including current or recent initiatives based on the requirements of the Asset Management Planning Regulation under the Infrastructure for Jobs and Prosperity Act, 2015.
Reporting requirements are guided by the Asset Management Outcomes Working Group.
Provincial Requirements Under o. Reg. 588/17
- Develop a strategic asset management policy by July 01, 2019
- Develop an asset management plan including core infrastructure assets with current levels of service by July 01, 2022
- Develop an asset management plan including all infrastructure assets with current levels of service by July 01, 2024
- Develop an asset management plan with proposed levels of service, and lifecycle management and financial strategy by July 01, 2025