Projects eligible for Canada Community-Building funding under this category are those that result in the remediation or decontamination - and subsequent redevelopment - of a brownfield site within municipal boundaries.
Projects are only eligible for federal Gas Tax funding under this category if the redevelopment that follows involves the construction of:
- A public park for municipal use;
- Publicly-owned social housing; or
- Infrastructure eligible under another eligible category.
Eligible projects under this category include (but are not limited to):
- Removing and replacing contaminated soil prior to the construction of publicly-owned social housing;
- Installing geotextiles or other barriers to obstruct the migration of contaminants before building a new recreation facility; and
- Pumping and treating contaminated groundwater prior to the construction of a new park.
Investment to date
The figures above include Canada Community-Building investments made by all municipalities - except for the City of Toronto, which reports investments directly to the Government of Canada. Visit Toronto's website to learn more about the City's investments.